Thursday, June 21, 2007

Wrapping my head around it all

So I have not updated since last week but there is a very valid reason, I have no idea what to say because this race is so close and 6 months of my life have been dedicated to making this all possible. This past weekend was a race simulation weekend pretty much. Saturday started with a nice 4 hour bike ride covering just over 71 miles, and then a 50 minute 2000 meter swim. The rest of the day I had planned to just relax and try to plan out what I was going to do to get my bike back home for the race but that didn’t happen. I ended up going to the water park the Beach just north of the city and had a great time, it helped me keep my mind clear and not really focus on the race. Sunday kicked off right with a great 2 hour 12.5 mile run. I felt great afterward and everything just went to happiness especially because of the whole runner’s high I was kicking with from miles 7-11.

This week I have been beginning a taper and that has been extremely hard because all I have wanted to do is run or bike as hard as I could and let loose. But I have restrained myself and held back. But yesterday and today have been a much higher intensity because starting tomorrow I will not have my bike until the day before my race. I am nervous about not having my bike for that long but I figure running and spinning on the bikes in the gym.

With 10 days left till race day I do not know what to think really, my head is spinning and I am trying to wrap my head around that everything is coming down to this one day, this one race to kick start the rest of my life. This training has really changed my life and I cannot be happier. Crossing that finish line will not be the end of something in my life but the breaking open of something brand new that I never knew I could be possible but something that I know cannot see how I lived without it.

This is a quote that I have heard from the movie “Any Given Sunday” a few times but it had been a while and then I heard it again in a GYGO podcast and it really kicked me into high gear. Here it is:
“I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we're finished. We're in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time. Now I can't do it for ya, I'm too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I've made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I've pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who's ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that's... that's... that's a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin' stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the fucking difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying! I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I'm gonna have any life anymore it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that's what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You've got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think ya going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That's a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That's football guys, that's all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?”

No comments: